YUPPIE PUPPY STUDIOS
Your Dog and Our Employees Health and Safety
Respiratory Inhalation Protection
Safe & Secure Animal Holding Compartments
Yuppie Puppy Studios takes extra care and precautions to protect your pet from zoononic and infectious diseases. Zoonoses diseases and infections that can be passed back and forth between animals and humans. Although transmission of such diseases and infections are rare, our business health and sanitation policies help protect you, your pet and our employees from the possibility of such diseases. Our requirement of Vaccinations of your pet is just part of our health program and service safety policy.
The health and safety of YOUR PET and our GROOMOLOGY® staff is important to us. We require all our employees to attend our GROOMOLOGY® classes and complete our health and safety program to assure compliance with our facility policies. Our facility cleaning and sanitation procedures as well as our safe grooming requirements help protect your pet and our employees before, during and after grooming appointments.
Our GROOMOLOGIST® wear clean aprons, exam gloves, dust masks and are seen using other personal protection apparel and safety equipment for particular grooming procedures to protect YOUR PET and themselves. The following information explains more fully, why such precautions are important.
We live in a mobile, changing world with increasing pet travel. The neighborhood pet-grooming practitioner no longer grooms just local area pets, but pets that travel with their owners. Pet owners today do travel longer distances with their pet to receive the preferred grooming from a trusted pet grooming facility and pet grooming practitioners.
More pets are enjoying vacationing with their owners; many travel as a security companion, or may travel with their owner as just a comfort companion for such occupations as truck driving and traveling salespersons. Dogs have jobs also that require then to travel, doing rescue missions in disaster areas, herding cattle, or as an assistant for the disabled. Whatever the reason, it points to the growing need that pet grooming facilities not become a source of disease transmission from one area to another.
Evacuated pets from many types of disasters, such as the recent hurricanes, demands that health standards and safety measures be in place and practiced in all pet-grooming facilities. The possible cross over contamination and transportation of parasites into pet grooming facilities that do not apply health and safety rules with stringent sanitation standards and practices may place pets and employees at a greater risk. As future events occur, be it a disaster or the mutation of diseases such as bird or dog flu; the establishment of new rules and regulations controlling the health and safety of pet grooming facilities must be implemented.
Current news reports about Bird Flu, H1N1and the (Update: Nov. 20 2009 - recent concerns about cross over diseases known as (zoonosis) adds to the importance of establishing and maintaining sanitation standards and practices. These concerns are reason to review earlier than our usual, our annual health and safety policies in order to add or adjust any necessary courses of action to protect our employees and your pet before, during and after a grooming appointment.
Our standards and practices, often a target of ridicule in the past by others in the pet-grooming field are now beginning to be appreciated and seen as important to the health and well being of not only of the pet but the pet grooming practitioner as well. Pet grooming specific legislation will be needed to assure that more pet grooming facilities adopt similar rules and regulations such as ours, to assure the overall health and safety of a pet grooming business. As more pet owners become aware and demand healthier and safer pet grooming businesses, the need for pet grooming business inspections, permits and pet grooming practitioner State licensing will become more apparent.
Our caring and discerning clients, their pets and our employees have long enjoyed the health and safety benefits of our Studios business and grooming policies listed below.
1. As GROOMOLOGIST® we review all safety and health policies annually to assure pet well being.
2. We evaluate potential safety and health hazards of grooming products, equipment, grooming procedures and grooming techniques that may affect an employee and a pets comfort and well being.
3. As owners of Yuppie Puppy Studios we document and post all incidences, conduct a preventative evaluation of all pet and employee related grooming injuries and accidents monthly. Pet injuries are reported to pet owners and when necessary Veterinarian care is provided.
4. Any employee or pet illness of a contagious disease hazard to other pets and/or our employees is reported to the Department of Health and the Animal Control Authority
5. Only safe grooming practices, procedures and techniques relevant to the dog’s health, age and patience are permitted.
6. We require all new employees to be involved and to participate in all our Studios training programs regardless of their previous grooming experience.
7. We maintain and familiarize employees with all facility use products and grooming product Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) Each Studios MSD Sheets are available for employees review.
8. Our Safety & Health Communication Programs are required of all employees. This training includes but is not limited to the following:
(a.) Humane Handing & Safe Control Methods (HHCM)
(b.) GROOMONICsm Procedures & Techniques (GPT)
(c.) Personal Protection Equipment (PPE),
(d.) and Pet Safety Restraints (PSR),
(e.) Prior to any employee task control and contact use of facility cleaning solutions, sanitizing procedures, reactive substances, parasite pesticides and other potentially hazardous grooming products and grooming procedures, a new employee will have acquired knowledge and use training.
9. Pet Safety Restraints (PSR) are used in a humane manner to handle and protect pets from accidents.
9. (a) Unfortunately some dogs have behavioral problems or have had previous bad grooming experiences caused by untrained practitioners, so muzzling is temporally necessary. Muzzles are used to protect not only the pet grooming practitioner but the pet from grooming procedure accidents.
9. (b) Denning is a natural instinct and need for dogs to feel comfortable, so individual compartment caging is for the dogs security and safety. Dogs are most comfortable when they have a secure place of their own when in unfamiliar surroundings.
10. Employee Knowledge & Training - Base Academics
Health & Safety Policies
S&H - HCP
Copyright © L. Richard Neely
All Rights Reserved
Up dated 2017